Saturday, July 11, 2009

Festival of Postcards: Signs

Ok, so I am finally catching up with the Festival of Postcards. The third edition's theme is Signs. I thought this postcard was very appropriate for the theme:





I have been to New Orleans several times, being a native Louisiana girl and only living an hour away, so I can't quite remember when I purchased this postcard. It was probably on the 4-day trip I took in May 2005, the first long trip Cade and I took together. We stayed in the French Quarter and visited several places, including Bourbon Street and Pat O'Brien's, the Cabildo (now the Louisiana State Museum), The 1850 House, the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum, Cafe du Monde, The Gumbo Shop, The Crescent City Brewhouse, and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas. I don't think we went to the Old Absinthe House at that time, but we did recently stop by there in November 2008 when we took my cousin and her husband from Michigan. One funny story I remember about our 2005 trip was going to Pat O'Brien's and ordering two hurricanes to go. We decided to drink them while we walked back to our hotel. We arrived at our hotel, walked into the lobby and said "hi" to the girl at the front desk, walked into the courtyard and up the stairs, before we realized that it wasn't our hotel. So we walked back through the lobby and told the girl at the front desk, "Oops...wrong hotel." She laughed and said, "Too many hurricanes?"

6 comments:

  1. This card is just too terrific for the festival! When I got my first look at it I was convinced you had created it using Photoshop or something! It's also a nice mix of types of signs and I think it's so cool to think that there is signs-themed postcard!
    Thanks so much for participating.
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I saw it and was like, "This is the perfect card for the festival." I can promise you it is not photoshopped...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUV that card -- THE perfect one for the "signs" festival! The "Old Absinthe House" sign caught my eye, as I have wormwood growing at my house -- is said to keep snakes away. Thanks for sharing! V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous card! I've never seen one quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a really interesting postcard for New Orleans! One of my places to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice collection of signs. Great for this Festival of Postcards.

    ReplyDelete