To ease myself back into blogging, I've decided to post a series of obituaries on my Pemberton ancestors. Before I start posting the obituaries, I will give an introduction to the family. As stated in previous posts, the Pemberton's are my maternal grandfather's line. This is one of my many Michigan lines. My mother was born and raised in Michigan, so at least 50% of my lines have Michigan ties. Over the last two years, I've been collecting obituaries, primarily from Michigan, on this side of the family.
The farthest back I've traced the Pemberton line is to my 4th great-grandparents, Jeremiah Pemberton and Susanna Jermyn. Jeremiah was born about 1812, probably in New York. Susanna was born about 1820, most likely either in Ireland, England, or Canada. They married at St. James (Anglican) Cathedral in Toronto on 19 Nov 1836. Their oldest child, John, my 3rd great-grandfather, was born 3 Apr 1839 in either Hamilton in Wentworth County, Ontario or in Blenheim in Kent County, Ontario. His enlistment record for the Civil War states Hamilton, while his obituary states "Blennem." I have a feeling that he was born in Hamilton, and the family later moved to Kent County. By the time of the 1860 census, Jeremiah and Susanna had settled in Brownstown Township in Wayne County, Michigan. According to several records, their youngest child, Charles Pemberton, was born in Michigan on 11 Sep 1856. All other children seem to have been born in Ontario. Between 1860 and 1865, Jeremiah and Susanna again relocated north to Clay Township in St. Clair County, Michigan. Jeremiah died on 7 Jul 1881 in Clay, and Susanna died on 24 Apr 1891 in Clay.
Jeremiah and Susanna had the following children:
1) John C. Pemberton was born 3 Apr 1839 in either Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario, or Blenheim, Kent, Ontario. He married Mary Ann Coombs on 30 Dec 1865 in New Baltimore, Macomb, Michigan. They had five known children. He died on 27 Nov 1912 in New Haven, Macomb, Michigan. Mary died on 14 Sep 1913 in Detroit at the home of their oldest child, Burton.
2) Stephen Pemberton was born about 1842 in Ontario. He died about 1862 or 1863 in Limaville, Stark, Ohio, during his service in the Civil War. According to John's pension record, he and Stephen were in the same unit. Stephen became sick, and he and John were en route back home to Michigan when Stephen died. John later turned himself in for desertion and returned to his unit.
3) Eliza Jane Pemberton was born 16 Sep 1844 in Ontario. She married David Finkle on 27 Apr 1865 in Clay, St. Clair, Michigan. They had 7 known children. Eliza died on 20 Apr 1927 in Port Huron, St. Clair, Michigan. David died on 1 Apr 1915 in Port Huron.
4) Agnes Emma Pemberton was born 16 Mar 1846 in Ontario. She married Joseph Putnam Phelps on 22 Jan 1867 in Clay. They had 6 known children. Agnes died on 29 Dec 1931 in Clay. Joseph died on 15 Mar 1919 in Clay.
5) Samuel Pemberton was born 18 Sep 1847 in Ontario. He married Ellen McCoy on 25 Nov 1871 in Algonac, St. Clair, Michigan. They had 5 known children. Samuel died on 14 Aug 1917 in Raber, Chippewa, Michigan. Ellen died on 14 Oct 1909 in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa, Michigan.
6) William Thomas Pemberton was born 5 Aug 1849 in Ontario. He married Hannah Jane Winters on 25 Nov 1871 in Algonac (same day as his brother, Samuel, married Ellen McCoy). They had 9 known children. William died on 12 Jan 1915 in Shelldrake, Chippewa, Michigan. Hannah died on 9 Feb 1925 in Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan.
7) Sarah Maria Pemberton was born 3 Jun 1851 in Ontario. She married Reuben Morrison on 20 May 1871 in Detroit. They had 2 known children. Reuben died on 7 Apr 1892 in Wales, St. Clair, Michigan. Sarah married Charles F. Jones on 9 May 1910 in Sault Ste. Marie. Sarah died on 9 Feb 1941 in Marysville, St. Clair, Michigan. Charles died on 15 Mar 1941 in Marysville.
8) Elmira "Ella" Pemberton was born Jun 1854 in Ontario. She married Jacob Fink about 1871 in St. Clair County, Michigan (curiously, the marriage was recorded as occurring in 1894, though Jacob states in John's pension record that he was married to John's sister in the spring of 1871...their first child was born in Sep 1872). They had 9 known children. Jacob and Ella had moved to Toledo, Ohio, by 1900. They appear to have died there between 1900 and 1910.
9) Charles Pemberton was born 11 Sep 1856 in Michigan. He married Blanche Poole/Blankerts (she was born a Blankerts and adopted by a family named Poole) on 8 Aug 1879 in Algonac. They had 9 known children. Blanche died on 7 Mar 1928 in Algonac. Charles married Aurelia Blanche Wagner between Mar 1928 and Apr 1930. Charles died on 29 Jul 1939 in Port Huron. Aurelia died 27 Oct 1946 in Algonac.