Monday, August 24, 2009

Pemberton Obituary Project: Eliza Jane (Pemberton) Finkle

I just noticed that I don't have an obituary for my 3rd great-grandmother, Mary Ann (Coombs) Pemberton. She was married to John C. Pemberton. I know from her death record that she died in Sep 1913 in Detroit. I have a feeling that there is probably not an obituary for her, considering that she was a woman and it was 1913. In addition, she died in such a large metropolitan area and was not particularly wealthy. Prior to her husband's death in Nov 1912, she seems to have lived in Macomb County, Michigan. When she died, she was living with her son in Detroit (Wayne County). I'm assuming she moved in with her son sometime after her husband's death in Nov 1912 and her death in Sep 1913. The Macomb County newspaper obits are indexed online at the website of the Mount Clemens Public Library, and while I found her husband in the index, I can't seem to find an index entry for her. I think I will still put it on my to-do list to check the actual newspapers in Macomb County, just in case she was missed in the index, and to check Detroit papers, just in case she did have an obit there.

Next on my list is Stephen Pemberton, but I don't have an obit for him either. He was the second child of Jeremiah Pemberton and Susanna Jermyn and John C. Pemberton's younger brother. According to John's Civil War pension application, Stephen died from an illness contracted while fighting in the same unit as John. He died in Limaville, Stark, Ohio. It looks like the Stark County Republican is available from the time period at the Ohio Historical Society. It would be interesting to see if there are any reports of a traveling soldier dying there. John said he was taking Stephen home to see their mother one last time before he died. John had to leave him in Limaville and continue on to Michigan to get their mother. She arrived just before he died.

After Stephen comes Eliza Jane (Pemberton) Finkle. Eliza was the third child of Jeremiah and Susanna. Luckily, I do have an obit for Eliza.

From Port Huron (Michigan) Times-Herald, 21 April 1927, p. 7.

Mrs. Eliza Finkle, 82, died at the family residence, 1804 Scott avenue, Wednesday afternoon.

She is survived by three sons, Hayes W. Finkle, this city, William K. Finkle, Tashmoo Park, Roy D. Finkle, Saginaw; two daughters, Mrs. Harry Knight, Lansing, Mrs. Thomas Leslie, Sandusky; a brother, Charles Pemberton, Algonac; two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Jones, this city, Mrs. Agnes Phelps, Algonac; one grandchild and one great-grandchild.
I just noticed that this announcement does not actually list the funeral arrangements. I should probably go back and check to see if there is another announcement that does mention them.

One interesting thing to note is that Eliza's son, Jerry Finkle, died just three days before she did. He was actually buried on the day that she died. He died of heart disease in Toledo, Ohio, and was buried at Lakeside Cemetery in Port Huron, Michigan. From cemetery records, I know that Eliza was also buried at Lakeside.

Eliza also had another son, Burton Finkle, who died in Nov 1909 in Cleveland after being run over by a train.

I just realized that I don't have an obit for Eliza's husband, David Finkle. I do have his death record, which states that he died 1 Apr 1915 in Port Huron. I just added it to my to-do list to search for the obit next time I am in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment