Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Relatives from 1909

I started thinking that I hadn't covered all of my direct ancestors with my two previous posts on 1909/1910. There were a few more that were still living in 1910.

My Paternal Grandfather's Side:

My great-great-great-grandmother, Marie "Edmonia" DOMINGUE, was living with her second husband, Lawrence ARCENEAUX, in Police Jury Ward 1, Lafayette, Louisiana. Edmonia was the mother of my great-great-grandmother, Marie Alice SONNIER. Edmonia's first husband was Joseph Numa SONNIER. The 1910 census says Lawrence was age 52, and Edmonia was age 40. I know from church baptismal records that Edmonia was actually 47. Her two youngest sons, Romain and Alexandre SONNIER, from her first marriage were living in the household, ages 12 and 8, respectively. Lawrence and Edmonia were living with the family of Antoine Conque, and Lawrence's relationship is given as hired help. It appears that he was a farm laborer.

My fourth great-grandfather, Edmonia's father, Jean William DOMINGUE, was also still alive in 1909/1910. He was married to his second wife, Cidalise MCDANIEL, who was 38 years younger than him. They should have been living in Acadia or Lafayette Parish, Louisiana in 1910, but I cannot seem to find them. I know from Jean's Confederate pension record that he died in 1912 in Crowley, Acadia, Louisiana. I know from compiled church records that he was born in 1831 in Plattenville, Assumption, Louisiana, so he would have been 78 years old in 1909.

The mother of Edmonia's first husband, my fourth great-grandmother, Rosalie Basilisse Armigela DOMINGUE, was also alive in 1909/1910. In fact, she was Jean William DOMINGUE's sister (Joseph Numa SONNIER and Marie Edmonia DOMINGUE were first cousins who married one another). Rosalie was a widow living in Police Jury Ward 1, Lafayette, Louisiana, in 1910 with her single daughter, Coralie SONNIER, age 42. Her second husband, Simeon SONNIER, father of Joseph Numa SONNIER, had died in 1871. Rosalie was 78 years old in 1910. She was born in 1832, also in Plattenville. She died in 1922 at the age of 90. Seems like those DOMINGUE's lived longer than most.

My Paternal Grandmother's Side:

My great-great-great-grandmother, Carolina Cristina "Carrie" ORTH, was alive in 1909/1910. She was the mother of my great-great-grandfather, John Henry MERTENA. She was living in Rose Hill, Logan, Oklahoma, with her second husband, James Leonard COTHERN, and their son, Willie COTHERN, age 16. James Leonard COTHERN was a farmer. The census says Carrie was 50 years old, but I believe she was actually 51 years old. She's probably the ancestor I'd most like to talk to, mostly about her first husband, John Henry MERTENA, who has been much of a mystery to our family.

My great-great-great-grandparents, James William WELDEN and Henrietta Murl RENFRO, were also alive in 1909/1910. They were the parents of my great-great-grandmother, Blanche WELDEN. They lived in Marshall, Logan, Oklahoma, in 1910. James is listed as age 60 and "Hattie" as age 55. Their son, Fred, age 32, was living with them. James was a farmer.

Henrietta Murl RENFRO's mother, Eliza LAWSON, my fourth great-grandmother, was also alive in 1909/1910. She was born in 1835 and was 76 years old at the time of the 1910 census. She lived in Hardyville, Hart, Kentucky. Her single son, Alfred G. RENFRO, age 33, lived with her. I have a letter from her written to Henrietta's daughter, Blanche WELDEN, about 1918 when Henrietta died. Eliza did not died until 1922.

My great-great-great-grandparents, James Gilbert BAKER and Susan Rilla WOODS, were alive in 1909/1910. They were the parents of my great-great-grandmother, Emmer Link BAKER. They lived in Allen, Kingman, Kansas in 1910 with their youngest daughter, Ollie BAKER, and her husband, Henry HALL. They were both listed as age 56.

James Gilbert BAKER's mother, Elizabeth Caroline DENTON, my fourth great-grandmother, was alive in 1909/1910. She was living with Alexander Randolph BAKER, her youngest son, and his family in Mahomet, Burnet, Texas. Her age is given as 76 on the 1910 census.

Whew! That is all I have time for now. I will have to check on my 3rd and 4th great-grandparents on my maternal grandparents' sides tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment