Saturday, April 30, 2011

Update on April Genealogy Goals

Well, I must say that I did very well on my April genealogy goals. Below are my goals and the results:

1) Finish adding marriage records from the Ohio County marriages database at FamilySearch. Currently, I have found three records for my Fink relatives. - Finished adding Fink marriages to my RootsMagic database. My great-great-great-grandfather's sister, Ella Pemberton, married Jacob Fink in 1871 and they moved from Michigan to Toledo, Ohio, sometime between 1894 and 1900. In fact, I could never find their marriage record in Michigan, except for one dated 1894, several years after all their children were born, which was strange. I just assumed they were married in Michigan since Ella's family lived there and all their children were born there between 1872 and 1890. In Jacob's affidavit for my great-great-great-grandfather's pension, he stated he had known him since his wedding to his sister in the summer of 1871. Sure enough, with the Ohio County Marriages database, I was able to find their marriage record in Toledo in 1871. They must have married in Toledo in 1871, had all their children in Michigan from 1872 to 1890, recorded their marriage a second time in Michigan in 1894 (not sure why), and then moved to Toledo between 1894 and 1900.

2) Enter and scan at least five records from my "To Be Entered" folder. Many of these are death records found at Seeking Michigan and some obituaries I found at the St. Clair County Library in Michigan last time I was there in June 2009 (yes, nearly two years ago...yikes!). A few of the other items are wedding invitations and such I've received from family members in the last two years or so. - I believe I may have entered about 10-15 items from my "to be entered" folder. I entered some San Diego City Directory info from the 1930s and 1940s for my bro-in-law's family, my cousin's wedding invitation from June 2009, my maternal grandfather's social security application, my cousin's birth announcement from a 2009 Michigan newspaper, my bro-in-law's maternal grandfather's death certificate, my paternal grandfather's death certificate and obituary, and my maternal grandfather's death certificate and obituary. Phew! Notice I didn't even get to the obituaries and death certificates mentioned in my original goal. Maybe in May.

3) Finish cleaning up the source citations and events in RootsMagic on the following families:
a) Lewis B. HERIN and Sarah A. RIPLEY - my Aunt L's great-great-grandparents
b) Lewis B. HERIN and Piety ROBERTS (same Lewis above with his second wife)
c) Ferdinand HERIN and Samantha BLEDSOE (Lewis B. HERIN's parents)
- I did manage to clean up all the sources and events for the above families, as well as enter some additional sources for siblings of my aunt's grandparents and great-grandparents. Texas is a rather easy place to find info online. I also added a marriage record search to my to-do list for my aunt's grandparents and great-grandparents and their siblings in Delta and Lamar Counties in Texas.

4) Finish entering in tombstone info found at FindAGrave for Lewis B. HERIN, Sarah A. RIPLEY, and Piety ROBERTS. - Finished this and added a few more FindAGrave entries for my aunt's HUIE relatives.

5) Start scanning and entering sources for the family of my Aunt S - the HOFFNER/URBAN family from New Jersey. - I did not start this just yet because I decided to flesh out my HERIN research, but I did review the obituaries I had in my HOFFNER and URBAN file folders. I also snagged a newspaper article I needed from the LSU library when I went to Louisiana for a few days around Easter.

Hopefully, May is just as successful as April, but I will begin studying again for the CPA exam, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

1 comment: