Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update on May Genealogy Goals (Better Late Than Never)

Well, I am finally getting around to posting on my May genealogy goals status. I didn't do as well with my May goals as I did with my April goals. Planning a wedding kind of got in the way. The poor CPA exam is just going to have to go on hold until after the wedding.

1) Add at least 5-10 more items from my "To Be Entered" folder into my RootsMagic database. - I don't think I managed to get anything added from my "To Be Entered" folder.

2) Clean up source citations for Ancestry.com databases in my RootsMagic database. I had been cleaning up sources by family, which I will continue to do, but there are some sources that can be cleaned up quickly if I fix all the citations for those sources at one time. These are the ones that usually require very little detail and very little media images. Mainly, they are the databases at Ancestry.com, such as the Michigan deaths database or the Texas birth index. - I did do a little cleanup on some California, Michigan, and Texas vital records index sources in my master source list.

3) Start adding HOFFNER/URBAN family sources to my RootsMagic database. This is my Aunt S's family line. I was going to do this last month, but I added a little more detail to my Aunt L's family line instead. Most of my sources for this will be obits I obtained a few years ago from a Louisiana newspaper and online sources, such as census records and such. They originated in New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania, which are three states I'm not too familiar with, so this ought to be interesting. I'll have to see what online databases are available for these states. - This is where I had the most success. I entered all census records, military draft records, obituaries, and city directory sources that I found on Ancestry.com and in Louisiana newspapers for the HOFFNER family. I am stuck because there are two James HOFFNER's born within the same time period in Philadelphia, and I don't want to continue until I confirm which one is the correct James. To do that, I need a death record or a marriage record that names his parents. That's not something easily found online, so I'm bypassing it for now while I work on other lines in this family. I will return to it later. I am now working on entering sources for the GROFF family, which is my aunt's paternal grandmother's family. I never did get started on the URBAN line, which is my aunt's mother's line.

I'm not going to do any June goals because of all the wedding planning going on. Goals will go on hiatus until the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment