Thursday, May 26, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday: Navy Cruise Books


I haven't done a Treasure Chest Thursday post in awhile, but I'm going to interrupt my normal pattern to bring an awesome find. I have been posting all of my treasure chest items on my maternal grandfather, but tonight I found something really cool on my paternal grandfather.

I saw on Ancestry.com that they had added a new database called "U.S. Navy Cruise Books Index, 1918-2009." I knew my paternal grandfather had served in the Navy in the mid-1950s, so I thought I would check it out. I found him in the 1955 yearbook for the USS Plymouth Rock. Pretty sweet! The yearbook was really neat because it had a description of each division on the ship and what they did. Then it had each of their pictures with names and origins. And then it had a history of where it had sailed from 29 Nov 1954 to 29 Nov 1955. It looks like my grandfather was a quartermaster in the Navigation Division. According to Wikipedia, the quartermaster was responsible for steering the ship and applying the helm orders given by the Captain or watchkeeping officers.

3 comments:

  1. Cool beans! I found my dad's 1945 cruise book this week, too (USS Hancock).
    p.s. On a much earlier post-- why haven't I heard of Zummo's? Has it been around for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Liz! I checked out the website, and Zummo's has been around since 1908. I know it is based in Beaumont, so maybe it didn't make its way into the Louisiana market until more recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - I really love your blog and have chosen you to receive the “One Lovely Blog” award. Please visit my blog to find out more.

    ReplyDelete