Sunday, April 4, 2010

Census: Where Was I?

All the commercials about the 2010 census have got me thinking where I was during past census years. For some reason, I haven't been sent a census return for 2010 yet (unless it's in an envelope that is not obviously marked as being from the Census Bureau in that pile of mail on my bar that I need to open). I know if it was marked as being from the Census Bureau, I would have opened it and mailed it back immediately with a typical genealogist's enthusiasm!!

Being born in 1981, I just missed the 1980 census. In April of 1980, my parents would have been living in a garage apartment next to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Curry Caswell at 1811 Center St. in Vinton, Calcasieu, Louisiana. Mr. and Mrs. Caswell (now deceased) owned the garage apartment. Their census entry would have looked something like this (assuming census questions were similar to those in past censuses):

Michael Trahan, head, age 24, white, male, married, b. Louisiana. father b. Louisiana, mother b. Oklahoma, security guard at oil refinery

Pamela Trahan, wife, age 20, white, female, married, b. Michigan. father b. Michigan, mother b. Michigan, clerk in drug store

In April 1990, I was living with my parents and 2 siblings in Vinton. Our census entry would have looked something like this:

Michael Trahan, head, age 34, white, male, married, b. Louisiana. father b. Louisiana, mother b. Oklahoma, operator at oil refinery

Pamela Trahan, wife, age 30, white, female, married, b. Michigan. father b. Michigan, mother b. Michigan

Jennifer Trahan, daughter, age 8, white, female, single, b. Louisiana, father b. Louisiana, mother b. Michigan

Kathleen Trahan, daughter, age 6, white, female, single, b. Louisiana, father b. Louisiana, mother b. Michigan

Justin Trahan, son, age 1, white, male, single, b. Louisiana, father b. Louisiana, mother b. Michigan

In April 2000, I was living on my own in the dormitory at Centenary College in Shreveport, Caddo, Louisiana. Here is what my entry would have looked like (and I do remember filling out the form):

Jennifer Trahan, age 18, white, female, single, b. Louisiana, father b. Louisiana, mother b. Michigan, student

In 2010, if I ever get the form, it will look like this:

Jennifer Trahan, age 28, white, female, single, b. Louisiana, father b. Louisiana, mother b. Michigan, accountant

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I think it is odd you have not received a form yet. I got a letter informing me they were sending me a census form; I then received the form and sent it out immediately; and then I got a notification in the mail reminding me they had sent me a census form... Geesh, I think they really wanted me to fill that thing out. Anyway, you might want to look into it if you haven't gotten one... or maybe your state is delayed for some reason???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to fill it out. I know, I'm bad. I am taking others advice though and photocopying it for genealogical purposes! I think it's a wonderful idea! I'm going to pass it on to my relatives and see if they'll send me a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! I had never thought about imagining what the 1980 and 1990 census forms will look like. As for me, I can't wait until the 1940 census is finally released for publication!

    ReplyDelete